Dimple Surgery or Dimple Creation Surgery
- It is possible to surgically create permanent dimples, and the surgical procedure to create dimples is very simple and straightforward when done properly. A natural dimple is usually formed when there is a small defect in the cheek musculature (most often the buccinator muscle and less commonly the Zygomaticus Major muscle).
- The skin overlying this small defect is stuck down to the underlying connective tissue and creates a dimple in the skin with facial animation (smiling).
How is it done?
- Dimple creation surgery can simulate this naturally occurring process. To create a dimple, a small painless incision is made in the inside of your cheek. There is no incision or scar on the outside skin.
- A small absorbable suture is passed through the inside of the cheek and catches the under surface of the skin where the dimple is desired. When this suture is tied it causes a dimpling in the overlying skin. At first there is a dimple present even without smiling, but after several days, or sometimes a few weeks, the dimple is only present while smiling or moving the face.
- The scarring between the inner skin and muscle will cause a permanent dimple even after the suture is absorbed.
Why would anyone consider getting Dimple Creation Surgery?
- In some cultures dimples are considered a sign of good luck and prosperity. Also, dimples help brighten a smile and add character. Many patients state that one of their siblings or close friends have a dimple and they are happy to know that dimple surgery is available to give them that option as well.
Is dimple creation surgery permanent?
- The procedure will result in a permanent dimple about 90% of the time. Rarely, if the suture breaks during the immediate healing process, or if inadequate scar tissue forms, the dimple may result in being shallow or could disappear completely. That is one of the risks of having dimple surgery performed.
How long does it take the dimple to look natural?
- There is usually a period of time after the dimple creation surgery is done where the dimple is present even when you are not smiling. This period is variable and can last anywhere from several days to several weeks and sometimes several months.
What are some of the complications that can happen with Dimple Creation Surgery?
- Mild swelling and bruising are the most common issues. It is a potential possibility to have temporary weakness of your cheek muscle after the dimple creation that can last days or sometimes weeks. This is very rare. Very rarely, an infection may develop which may have to be treated by antibiotics.
For appointments with Dr Shilpi please call +918130134693
Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
All aesthetics needs of the patients are met under one roof at her Plastic Surgery Clinic on Golf course road based out of UPHI- The Wellness and Surgical Centre Gurgaon. She has an extensive range of medical therapies for skin aesthetics.