Also known as gluteoplasty, brazilian butt lift, Buttock/Butt implants
The buttock augmentation can be done by methods like, Buttock implant, Liposculpture and body contouring methods. It is usually done in women who are unhappy with the shape of their buttocks and want a more curvaceous butt or post bariatric procedures. it is also done as a part of the feminising procedures in gender reassignment surgery done in trans-sexuals and trans-genders where more projection is required in tune with a female
The two most popular methods for buttock augmentation are autologous fat transfer (using your own natural fatty tissue), also called the Brazilian butt lift, and gluteal implant surgery with or without fat transfer for additional contouring.
Autologous fat transfer
This procedure takes fat from one area of your body and uses it to enhance and reshape your buttocks.
- Liposuction with suction tubes (cannulas) is used to remove fatty tissue from areas of your body with excess tissue, such as the abdomen, hips, back, or thighs.
- The fat is then processed for fat transfer.
- The fat is reinjected using syringes connected to cannulas.
- Usually three small incisions are needed for injecting the fat, but these incision sites are easily hidden by clothing.
- The fat is grafted in layers at multiple levels, with the cannula moving back and forth to ensure that a smooth, linear deposit of fatty tissue is left to reshape and augment the buttocks area.
- The liposuction incisions are closed with sutures.
- Drains are inserted and a compression garment is worn following surgery.
Implants are most appropriate for treating flat or poorly defined buttocks, particularly for patients who have limited fatty tissue. They are not as effective for treating sagging buttocks that may occur after significant weight loss.
- With this procedure a soft, shaped silicone implant is placed through an incision hidden inside the natural buttock crease, or an alternate incision site may be used. Your plastic surgeon will provide further details about these incision locations during the consultation.
- The implant is positioned in a pocket below the large buttock (gluteal) muscle and above the pelvic bone.
- The incisions are closed with sutures, drains are inserted, and a compression garment is worn following surgery.
Silicone injections ? patient safety warning
Silicone injections are an unsafe and unacceptable option for buttock augmentation. These injections are often offered by unlicensed individuals and should be avoided. Always consult a super-specialist Plastic Surgeon if you are considering a buttock augmentation procedure.
Where will the incisions be placed?
Depending on the type of procedure your surgeon recommends, the following incisions may be used:
Autologous fat transfer
The liposuction incisions are very small and just large enough to allow the suction tube, or cannula, to go under the skin and remove the fat. The incisions used for injecting the fat into the buttock regions are equally small.
Typically an incision is made in the fold between the buttock “cheeks.” Alternative locations are the outer corners of the upper buttock and at the bottom in the gluteal crease.